Welcome!

I'm glad you are here to read my blog. I pray your learn more about other cultures and life in general. God bless and keep you!

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Life of an English Teacher

There are many joys in being an English teacher.  The hugs, the improvement, the kids.  However, there is something that I think every teacher has to face at some point.  The death of a student.  I didn't realize two of my students had died.  I figured they had skipped class as they were sometimes inclined to do.  A student appeared at my door tonight.  I knew something was horribly wrong from her demeanor.  Hoping it wasn't the grade I gave her (she hasn't been to class in two months), I asked what was wrong.

Two of my boys had gone to a nearby place.  They had tried to save some people in a river, only to never surface themselves.  I think about that class and about those boys.  That I will never see them sitting there again. I won't be able to help them.  I knew my time with my family is precious to me and that I had taken it for granted far too much.  I had no idea that this also applied to my students.  The times I figured we would work on something next week, or at this point next semester.  No.  That isn't good enough.  I have 45 in class minutes to improve my students at least twice a week.  Who knows when those 45 minutes will be my last.  How dare I put anything off?  Time is precious!

No comments:

Post a Comment