Welcome!

I'm glad you are here to read my blog. I pray your learn more about other cultures and life in general. God bless and keep you!

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Garden Plans

Teacher JayWa had at one time approached me about gardening.  One of the school administrators had planted over 200 plants out off to the side of the sports field.  It is a very beautiful place and teachers could rent some of the space that had plants they liked growing to tend to and harvest.  Teacher JayWa had rented a plot of the garden for his dorm.  He invited me to help him with that.

I like gardens.  Though I am not very knowledgeable in how to start one, when grandma gave me instructions concerning her flowerbeds and grandpa showed me what to do in his gardens, I could follow through.  So the idea of caring for one was inviting.  I agreed to help out.

Teacher JayWa and I were sitting at breakfast when he told the teacher next to me of my interest in gardening.  He looked surprised and pleased, then offered to help me set up a garden of my own closer to my apartment.  He has one between the cafe and our apartments.  Mine could go next to his.  I was eager, but suddenly unsure.  How do you start a garden?  The dirt is packed and old.  I explained that my grandpa had readied the soil for me in the past, and I didn't know what to do there.  He said he would loan me the tools and teach me how.

So now I am compiling a list of what things I wish to grow.  It is a month or two late to be starting.  However I am determined.  The soil looks poor, but I think I might get my nerve up to go buy a fish in the marketplace, cut it into pieces, and when I put my plants and seeds into the ground, put a piece of fish with each one.  I heard that fish works miracles somehow.  I'll think about it... not fond of fish.

Something I am grateful for is that it is all dirt and no grass.  There are ticks here in Korea after all.  I wouldn't have known except that they have been in the news.  There is a tick virus that has killed people in other Asian countries.  Now a third person in Korea, down in Busan, has died of this.  I want to have a garden, but I rather not have to deal with ticks.  It shouldn't be a problem.  I will wear bugspray full of deet.  It is my favorite method of avoiding bugs.

I mentioned it to Janelle a few minutes ago.  Her eyes got so wide when I said I was going to have a garden beside our apartments.  Seeing her expression, I asked if she wanted to help me.  Never have I received such an excited yes from her.  That makes me happy.  So for her, I added tomatoes to my list.  I originally wanted just want I needed for a simple salad: cucumbers, lettuce and carrots.  But then I thought if there was even a remote chance of finding okra here, I should grow some.  Then I added potatoes and then watermelon.  With her advice I added roma and cherry tomatoes as well as cilantro.  We will see if they have those at the plant store.  Lastly, I remembered her cooking skills and my desire for zucchini bread.  Yeah.  We might not get all these things as some of them might not be here.  But we will be happy with what we get.  It is inspiring.

No comments:

Post a Comment