Welcome!

I'm glad you are here to read my blog. I pray your learn more about other cultures and life in general. God bless and keep you!

Saturday, May 4, 2013

Kind Koreans

About to go to sleep when I realized there was something I wanted to share.  So pardon the extra dim picture please.

This evening I ran into town to pick up my dry cleaning.  On the way there, I stopped by Pizza School for supper.  Now you have to understand, in Korea you just don't eat by yourself.  Yet here I was waltzing into the place by myself.  I've been there before so they know who I am and that I usually come alone.  The lady working there was super extra kind.  The guy knew what I wanted before I even ordered.  And they left me to my book while I waited.  It was the extra big smile they gave me and the sense of trying to convey "I'm glad you are here" that came through.

Then I went to E Mart to pick up the dry cleaning.  I had gone in last Thursday after waiting 5 days and my clothes weren't ready much to my shock.  However this coming weekend has the holiday Children's Day.  All the parents are buying toys for their toddler and large flowering plants for their elder kids.  It is a big event here.  So that means getting your nicest clothes cleaned professionally I guess.  Anyrate, went in tonight.  It's been 7 days and the max that you are allowed to leave you clothes there.  They had all but the shirt that goes with the business suit done.  The main lady (who also knows me on sight now) bowed her apologies and suggested I return Tuesday for the shirt.  She meant the best and I could see she worried for not having it done.

Took a bus back to Jain and went to grab a taxi.  It was late so I didn't want to wait for another to come.  The guy motioned me to his car and as I reached my door, I saw a lady from the bus I had been on looking for a taxi too.  I asked her, "Namsan?"  She looked at me and then the driver.  The driver knew where I was going with that and asked where she wanted to go.  Turns out there is a small community west of Namsan called Sawol... and so she climbed in with me and we went.  She was super sweet and reminded me a lot of Aunt Carolyn.  Her mannerisms and voice... Anyrate, when we dropped her off, she patted my knee and I waved goodbye.

The people here, though they may not understand people from other cultures, do try their darnest to get along.  To understand.  It can be hard.  The students we have at school who have been abroad behave drastically more different than those who haven't.  Us expats can pick them out easily.  That is how much seeing another country for yourself can change you.  So even though it is hard for the locals to all understand us, it isn't for lack of caring.  They care and are very good people.  It is just that there are barriers that exist that take a lot of effort on both sides to overcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment