Welcome!

I'm glad you are here to read my blog. I pray your learn more about other cultures and life in general. God bless and keep you!

Monday, July 15, 2013

Internet, Storms, and Gandhi

Hello family and friends,

So my laptop no longer works with an ethernet cable.  This means I can only access the internet at work. Yes, I came to school at 6am on Sunday just so I could check emails, facebook, and menewsha.  This also means that in the evenings I can no longer get online unless I go to school.  I most likely won't.

I am going to bed now days by 9:30pm and getting up at 5am, so spending that much more time at school is not a welcome idea.

Yesterday, as I was chilling in my apartment, a sudden noise had me looking up at the window.  The once bright sky was dark and stormy with wind blowing in through all the badly-sealed places around the window.  I jumped up and ran outside where I saw Valentina and heard girls screaming in delight.  I also was met by a strong wall of wind blow debris, dust, and sand into the air.  Automatically my arms were up to protect my face and I asked Valentina, "What the heck?"

I thought there was a tornado coming.   But we are not in Kansas.  She said as much, "Feels like a tornado huh."  I worked my way out onto the street and where I could get a clear view of the west.  There were darker clouds and white coming.  Rain.  Realizing that we were in for a drenching, I let the wind blow me back into my apartment where I cleaned the grit out of my eyes and mouth.

Never had something like that here before.  Must be close to what the rest of Korea experiences when a typhoon comes.

Without internet, and the rain keeping me from walking around the track, I started reading an autobiography by Gandhi.  In it he talks about child marriages and some of those customs which truly surprised me.  But so far I have found some gems in his words, the latest pertaining to art.  He feels that handwriting is an important aspect of education.  To be good and graceful in your handwriting, you must first learn art: observation and then drawing what you observe will lead to a natural observation and elegant writing of letters.  YES!  Art is important :D

No comments:

Post a Comment