Welcome!

I'm glad you are here to read my blog. I pray your learn more about other cultures and life in general. God bless and keep you!

Monday, March 11, 2013

Chopsticks

When I was in college, I took the time to practice using wooden chopsticks at the local Asian restaurants.  House of Hunan in Lincoln, Nebraska was a favorite place that I went to as often as I could.  The owner became a friend and the atmosphere of the place made the most stressful of days tolerable.

There was also red packaged chopsticks with instructions on how to hold them.  I was able to eat complete meals with them for the longest time.  Still, I attempted it each time.  Just as the packaging instructed.

Then I came here and had to learn to use metal chopsticks.  They are heavier and don't hold food as easily.  Noodles are a particular challenge.  Still, I worked hard to appear normal and not show the hard time I had using them until it became natural.

Yesterday a group of us went to a museum showing the cultural history of Gyeongsan.  It was a true pleasure to see all the artifacts, read the history, and to try on the various cultural outfits in the children's section :)

Afterwards we went to lunch at one of my favorite Korean places.  While there, I picked up and used the chopsticks.  Natural without a second thought.  The new English boys dean is Korean.  He started with surprise when he saw me and said that I was very good.  Then he added something I really didn't know.

Really quickly, there are several ways to use chopsticks just like there are several ways you can hold a pencil.

He told me that I was using them in the most polite and correct way possible.  Many Koreans can't even hold them like I do.  Feeling super proud of myself, I went to breakfast this morning.  Where I was again complimented on my use of handling the chopsticks.  It made me happy to see the surprise on the Korean's face and then to receive his compliments.


No comments:

Post a Comment