Welcome!

I'm glad you are here to read my blog. I pray your learn more about other cultures and life in general. God bless and keep you!

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Bus Ride

Tonight virtually everyone on the bus was going to an apartment complex in Gyeongsan or to Namsan.  On the bus, I was standing in the aisle because there wasn't enough seats.  So were several others.  As a foreigner, I am well aware I stand out and that every expression or behavior is observed by someone.  So I figured that I would make sure not to take the first empty seat in order to not appear to be a "selfish foreigner."  After letting someone else have a seat instead of me three times, a man at the very back stood and made his way past me to the side door.  I looked at where he had been sitting.  It was the back seat at the end of the aisle.  In order for the two people on either side of it to get out, I would have to stand and move out of their way.  Koreans are small enough they they wouldn't have to do this.  Figuring I would be an inconvenience if I sat there, I didn't take it but continued to stand.  I figured another Korean would soon take the seat.  No one did and after a few bus stops, the man returned to his seat.  Then we reached the apartment complex that is along the route and half the bus seriously got off.  My mouth dropped open.  I have never seen a bus empty so quickly, even at this stop.  I turned and saw a seat near the back open now. I was just thinking about taking it when the guy who had stood earlier motioned to it and said, "sit down."  I happily obliged.

No comments:

Post a Comment