Welcome!

I'm glad you are here to read my blog. I pray your learn more about other cultures and life in general. God bless and keep you!

Saturday, June 29, 2013

Town and Homeplus

I was paid Friday the 28th and excitedly went into town to spend some of my money.  There were several facebook groups that were made for people living in South Korea or Daegu.  On their main page, you can post questions, advice, or advertise what you are selling before you move back home.  I had talked to several people who were moving away and decided to go ahead and buy a few things, with the main purchase being a TV.  I had never imagined actually buying myself one as I had grown up viewing them as an expensive luxury.  To have bought and now own one left me praising God for giving me such an opportunity.

Before meeting up with the lady who was selling it, my friend Janelle and I went to Homeplus.  It if very much like E Mart, full of wonderful things you need to live your life.  Only Homeplus has a larger selection.  By a great degree more.  Their selection is so large that they do not have an international aisle.  Instead you simply go to where the pasta is and there is what you are looking for.  You go to the tea section and there is that much beloved Arizona Raspberry Tea.  You go to the sauces section and there is the much beloved Prego sauce in more than one flavor!  In the canned goods, I found with excitement cream corn (have yet to try it), Cambell's Chicken Noodle Soup (tried and loved it, so familiar), and various other things.

In Korea, it is normal to buy what you need for that day and the next.  Rarely do you buy more than you need for more than a few days.  Janelle and I bought what we needed for at least two weeks, if not more.  The cart was definitely full and then some.  The Koreans kept turning and staring at our cart in amazement.  It is a normal sight in the states, but definitely not a normal sight here.  We finally got checked out, bagged and boxed everything, and went outside to the taxis.  It became a joke of what kind of expressions we would get if we attempted to drag it to a bus.

The lady who was selling me the TV was waiting outside and together we got all our stuff into the taxi.  Then with worn out bodies, Janelle and I returned to the school.  Pleasantly happy that we were back by sundown, we paid the taxi driver and dragged our stuff inside.  We had pasta last night.  It was yummy.  I have leftover pasta for lunch today.  Overall super happy.

With the discovery of Chicken Noodle Soup, I relayed the information immediately to Geoffrey.  He heard what brand it was, yelped in shock, and vowed to get over to Homeplus that very day.  So I bet you anything he bought more than the Koreans are used to seeing too.  *Giggle*  Us foreigners are entertaining to Koreans... as well as baffling :)

No comments:

Post a Comment