Welcome!

I'm glad you are here to read my blog. I pray your learn more about other cultures and life in general. God bless and keep you!

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Seomun Market

Yesterday I decided I was going to go to Seomun Market.  It is a traditional market, so my plan to get supper there failed as soon as I saw the boiled intestines.  Basically it is set up with the streets full or vendors or kiosks.  Those places are their permanent stores.Then the blocks are composed each of one huge building with aisles and a door at the end of each aisle.  Like outside, the inside is booth after booth of mini stores where individuals can shop.  The different areas are broken into districts.  Outside, most of the streets are completely covered.  There are a few walkways up top so that busier areas can be crossed more efficiently.  It gets really crowded there.  The shop owners are really nice.  I stopped by a place where two high school boys were selling many treats.  Cookies, crackers, rice bars, etc.  They said we could sample anything we wanted.  There was some interesting new things I tried.  I of course bought some food and plan to return there.  Saw strawberries a little later and the lady selling them gave us oranges with our purchase.  Another person was selling fish-shaped bread fill with bean paste.  It was 3 for 2,000 won, or so I thought.  I ordered 6, I guess since I was given 6, and she only took 1,000 won for the whole purchase.  I was surprised.  At another shop where I bought several items, the lady pointed at a table and said "service."  She meant for buying from her, I could pick one free thing from that table.  I happily accepted.  On our way out of the market, we stopped by a table where a guy was selling gel packs.  They are clear things full of gummy beads. You microwave or boil them and then use them on you neck, back, arms, legs, feet, face, or anywhere needed.  They are stiff and hard when cold, but once hot... very flexible.  Though limited by language, he explained how to heat them properly and what not to do.  Also helped that Teacher Linda knows some Korean to help with the translation.  I must learn more Korean!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a fun place to go shopping!

    ReplyDelete