Welcome!

I'm glad you are here to read my blog. I pray your learn more about other cultures and life in general. God bless and keep you!

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Stateside

Hello blog readers,

I have to say, this is the first blog I am writing that I know you most likely will read while both of us are stateside.

Coming back to the states has had its surprises.  In the same way, some of the things I had feared have turned out to be unfounded.

Jetlag is a definite problem.  It is worse coming back for some reason.  Waking up at 2am and 4am only to find myself unable to sleep.  It was not unexpected.  What the surprise was is my new sleep schedule.  I now tire around 6pm.  Am heading to bed around 8pm.  Then waking up at 4am.  I find my new found free time in the morning a good way to get some reading in.  However, I feel like I am missing out of family time by going to bed so early.

My online class has also been going well.  Something that I can do with or without internet.  I simply read the material and then plan what needs to be typed up and submitted.  The online research is also not quite as scary as I feared, though it is quite an endeavor to ensure my formatting is correct.

One fear I had was what to do about the large amounts of "foreigners" around me and hearing so much English words when I returned.  I use the word foreigner out of political correctness for those who are Americans, Canadians, etc who may or may not be white.  It covers it all.  Now I am surrounded by Americans and can fairly guess they are all Americans.  It is actually a relief to now know I blend in with the crowd.  Also other Americans in the store or outside don't ignore me, but talk to me, when we past by each other.  As for the large use of English.  I find my mind zoning in on the words more clearly and intently than before.  I'm sure it will pass with time, however I appreciate this benefit especially in church.

My first experience in a grocery store in America since returning was amusing.  I was walking down  aisle after aisle of food and mentally exclaiming, "I can cook with this.  I know what to make with that.  These look so yummy.  Those would be really fun to eat."  I knew what I was looking at.  I could read the labels.

This post is turning into a novel.  Just wanted to update my faithful readers to life as an English Teacher who is currently thoroughly enjoying her vacation.

2 comments:

  1. Being home is a treat, I am sure. We are excited that you are able to be back in the States for a visit. Soon you will have many new memories to take back to Korea to remember while you work with the new school year starting up. I am glad you are enjoying the shopping here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got to thinking about a store full of food and not knowing what was in the containers on the shelves. One man who did not read English once decided to treat his family while here in the States to a surprise at the end of the evening meal. After all were finished with their meal, he announced proudly he had a special treat for the family. He disappeared into the kitchen and was busy for a minute. Then there was a long silence. Which continued uncomfortably long. Finally, one of the daughters who knew English went into the kitchen to see if everything was alright. The man was in silent tears, and said softly to his daughter, "I thought these were pears". The can he had opened contained small, peeled potatoes.

    So Teacher Mindy, when you return to teaching in S Korea, are you going to step up to the plate and test the waters for adventurous meals that carry more uncertainty?! You could have quite a collection of menus full of variety in them to share with your faithful readers! :)

    ReplyDelete