Welcome!

I'm glad you are here to read my blog. I pray your learn more about other cultures and life in general. God bless and keep you!

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Statistics

I've heard some interesting comments about population here.  Thought I would clear some things up.

Imagine the state of Indiana filled with almost 50 million people.  That is the Republic of Korea.

Now imagine 1.4 million of those people are foreigners here to teach a different language and culture.  1.1 of those 1.4 are here long term.  That is the Republic of Korea.

I am part of the .3 million that isn't long term.

Imagine the issues that could arise between the children of culturally different peoples as they grew up learning to deal with each other.  Koreans are worried about all the immigrants in their country because of language and culture differences.  They are afraid that us foreigners will start rioting.  They are afraid of the future problems we might cause.

There are a lot of Americans, British, Canadians, and Russians here.  There are a lot from the Islands here.  And they are uncertain what we are going to do to them.

1 comment:

  1. That is interesting about the number of people there from abroad that are "converting" Koreans in their own country to another way of speaking and living.

    I think Americans have given our nation bad press for some of the bad behaviors of a few.

    I think I would feel the same way, and with some peoples who come to the USA to live but not stay, I imagine they are held suspiciously to some extent too - not all visitors from everywhere, but probably at least from a few nations elsewhere on the planet.

    There is a lot of room for all of us to learn courtesy and tolerance.

    ReplyDelete