Welcome!

I'm glad you are here to read my blog. I pray your learn more about other cultures and life in general. God bless and keep you!

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Suicide Report

Nothing catches my attention faster than someone in trouble.  

I don't know the policy in the Republic of Korea for teachers regarding when students say they are suicidal.  However in America it was drilled into us to report it.  So when a student came up to me on his way out of class and said, "I am going to kill myself tonight."  He had my complete attention.  

It is only the second day of classes.  I don't know their names and faces yet.  I just know which class it was and that it was one of my smallest boys.  I find it hard to believe that he would be.  It doesn't make sense as there are no tests in the near future.  So the main reason isn't there.  

I reported it and now am waiting to see what else is required on my part.  

3 comments:

  1. I will praying! Any chance it could have been a figure of speech?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think he was testing me. Koreans don't say the word "suicide" because it is taboo. Koreans also don't say stuff like, "I'm going to kill myself tonight." That is also taboo.

    This kid must know more about English culture than some of his classmates. I'm surprised he knew the word. So he was very purposeful in saying it, even if it was with a smile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For some who announce such attentions, it is a device for getting attention they want. This is so horrible to have to deal with as it is such a serious and real problem on a large scale for suicides to occur in Korea. I hope all turns out well. I can picture reporting that one: "There is a student in my class who left at the conclusion of the lessons today saying he is going to kill himself tonight. He is short, pale-skinned, has hair that is black and straight, a head that is short and round, wears a gray school uniform, and smiled when he spoke the words."

    ReplyDelete