Welcome!

I'm glad you are here to read my blog. I pray your learn more about other cultures and life in general. God bless and keep you!

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Lunch Manners

Went to lunch today.  Was the first teacher so got my food and sat down.  The other staff slowly came in.  Some guys came in first and sat at another table.  I thought that was weird but understand that sometimes genders sit apart.  Then some females came in, and sat at the opposite end of the table away from me.  Surprised and slightly embarrassed, I ate in silence.  Then a staff member came over and asked why I was by myself.  I explained I was the first here and everyone else sat elsewhere.  He sat with me and explained he wanted to be my friend for meals.

In Korea, you don't eat alone.  It is considered highly embarrassing.  I didn't care before I came here, but now that I am familiar with their culture, I do.

In Korea, if the opposite gender sits with you and it is just the two of you, it is considered a date and that your going out.  He has a family and children.  Very carefully he explained that he wanted to be friends, but to avoid misunderstanding he added just at meal times since that is the only time he sees me.  It was thoughtful of him.  Once I finished, I left and he moved to sit with the others.

No comments:

Post a Comment