Welcome!

I'm glad you are here to read my blog. I pray your learn more about other cultures and life in general. God bless and keep you!

Sunday, November 4, 2012

Okarina

Today I took a student into town with me to help me find and purchase an okarina.  It is an instrument very similar to a recorder, except that it is now long as much as triangular with curves.  We went to E-Mart where a store assistant, or three, helped us learn where we could buy one.  One lady called her husband for instructions on where and how to get there.  We took a bus to the Siji highschool area and went into a student store.  I bought a plastic okarina to learn on.  If I enjoy it and become good with it, I will buy a more expensive one.  This is good for starters though.

A side note:  Relations between teachers and students here are closer than allowed in the states.  I suppose it would be considered unprofessional to be friends with students.  I do not allow classtime and the relationships outside of class to interfere with their learning.  As I have seen here, it seems that the students who have these closer relationships with their teachers actually study better.  They are less frustrated and depressed.  Knowing this, I will try to learn my students' minds better so that I can help them to learn better. Adjusting to teaching in the United States after this will take getting used to.

No comments:

Post a Comment