Welcome!

I'm glad you are here to read my blog. I pray your learn more about other cultures and life in general. God bless and keep you!

Thursday, November 1, 2012

After Halloween

I'm not sure why, but my classes are really subdued today.  It is like my students have less energy, a lot less energy, than normal.

One of the more active and challenging of my classes is the junior conversation class.  The students have senioritis and for the most part have no wish to learn English.  When I come to class, I usually have most of the class missing until 5 minutes after the bell.  I am not allowed to give them a grade (assignments, tests, or attitude) so there is little to be done in docking them.

Today was a real treat.  Five minutes before class, everyone was in their seats and relatively quiet.  Surprised, I went into explaining prepositions and having students show on the board the meaning of each one.  When we moved onto sentences, I was again surprised that most of my students were actually trying to do the work.  Trying to understand.  A far cry different attitude from earlier this year.  We ended class with a game of hangman and the students didn't bolt for the door.  Who stole my students?  Conversation classes are traditionally difficult, but I appreciate their behavior.

It isn't just their class.  My International classes, though enjoyable to teach, were also just as compliant.  It is like overnight the whole student body underwent some sort of mental change.  Takes some getting used to.



No comments:

Post a Comment