Welcome!

I'm glad you are here to read my blog. I pray your learn more about other cultures and life in general. God bless and keep you!

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

August 15, 1945

On this day, 35 years of being under Japanese rule ended for the South Koreans.  Most of the world knows this day as the end of World War II.  For the South Korean people, it is Liberation Day.  A day set aside as a national holiday, even summer classes are canceled.

On this day in 1948, three years later, South Korea officially formed into it's own country the Republic of Korea.  Now they are making incredible progress in their society.  Improvement of life has gone up a considerable degree.

The grandpas and grandmas of today in this country remember very clearly what it was like living in a war torn country.  Education was the only hope for their future and it is that hope that drives them to be so focused on education now.  It is their past history and those memories that make their culture what it is today.

Whenever I become frustrated with something about their culture, I remember that they have earned the right to be who they are.  Only such strong-minded individuals could have endured the hard times that they have.  I'm proud that they would allow me the privilege of working with their children towards the goal of betterment for their country.

No comments:

Post a Comment