Welcome!

I'm glad you are here to read my blog. I pray your learn more about other cultures and life in general. God bless and keep you!

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Philippines: Info and First Day

So I am sure many of you have been waiting to hear about my Philippine experience.  Sadly I misplaced my notes from the trip.  I will try to get everything I did written, but I may forget some of the things I wanted to tell you.

It was definitely a cultural experience.  I grew up in the midwest and experiencing other culture in America alone has been big for me.  For example, when I went to Hawaii there was a quite a change in culture.  It was a good thing I had gone though as it helped South Korea not seem so foreign.  Though going to the Philippines was in some ways like going home (food products), it was another cultural change that I am glad I didn't experience without first experiencing South Korea.

In the Philippines, at least on Boracay, the main mode of transportation is tricycles.  A motorbike with a one-wheeled covered carriage next to it.  They were not the only thing crowding the streets.  I have never seen so many stray dogs in my life.

Probably the one thing I was most happy to see there was the much beloved rootbeer.  A pop item sorely missed back in South Korea.  There was also recess peanut butter cups, but the BBC's banana peanut butter shakes replaced the chocolate candy easily.

There was music playing from almost every shop or place to eat.  It was like stepping back into the late 90s.  The music that played on the radio during the late 90s and really early 2000s was what was being played there.  I heard so many songs that I had long forgotten.  It was a rather pleasant experience.

Something that is just a way of life on Boracay is the rain.  They usually had clouds surrounding them by evening.  The rain, as a general rule, hit the other islands instead of ours.  Every two days or so though, Boracay got a good long rainstorm as well.  It was those storms that brought down branches, coconuts, and tore up seaweed... because only after such storms did debris appear on the white beach.  Otherwise the beach was kept clean and clear.  The locals are proud of that beach and if you so much as smoke on it, you get arrested.

Saturday, our group of 3 left here really late at night.  I think it was about 10pm.  We caught a taxi to Gyeongsan Station.  From there we took a ten minute train ride to Dong Daegu station.  Walking to Dong Daegu's bus section, we waited for our bus to leave for Incheon.  It was a long bus ride.  Maybe 4 hours.

Sun - We arrived in Seoul at Incheon Airport really early in the morning.  Probably about 5:30am.  We met up with two others completing our group of 5.  We exchanged our money, ate breakfast, and finally boarded our plane to Manilla.  In Manilla we got lunch.  Keith and I ate at a pancake house.  Afterwards, with Willis' help, we got passport pouches that go around the waist.  Something to store money in.  Then we went to our next terminal.  While there I ran for a quick foot massage.  It was heavenly.  I could have had one longer if I had realized that we had an hour more than I thought.  I didn't realize we had switched time zones.  I'll take this moment to say that Cebu airplanes are not the best.  Take nothing for granted except the seat you sit in.  Everything else comes at a price.  I'm surprised they didn't charge us to have a lifevest handy.  We caught a plane to north side of island.  We landing on what looked like a random piece of concrete.  It was the shortest and bumpiest landing I have ever had.  It is also the first place where the airport building is just one room.  We walked in, picked up our luggage, and went outside where a guy stood holding a sign with Willis' name on it.  He guided and paid the rest of the way.  We too a boat to boracay.  It was rather fun.  Then we caught a van ride to the Boracay Beach Club.  The staff there made us feel right at home.  I loved them so much.  Still in shock from the airplane ride, having their friendly smiles and fruit drinks really made a difference.  Supper we has at Ariels House beach front.  Ariel's House is a part of the BBC, but they have a beach front section across the road.  We went over there for supper and to enjoy the sunset.  I ordered Aloha Wings and Chicken Fingers.  While we were waiting for our food, Andrea and I went out to play in ocean.  The water was neither warm nor cold, just perfect.  The white sand is super fine.  I have never seen or felt anything like it.  It is as fine as flour, packs easier than anything, breaks apart as easily as anything, and doesn't cake on your feet like wet sand might elsewhere.  Also, the sand is firm enough that you don't sink down into it.  Like walking across a lawn.  After supper, we went for a walk down the beach towards a shopping area that also was full of more hotels and resorts with their own accompanying eating places and such.  It was pretty incredible.  There was three or four different groups fire dancing.  After a bit, I went and got my first full body first massage.  It was really nice, but I learned that I still have back injury from Jeju Island.

No comments:

Post a Comment