Welcome!

I'm glad you are here to read my blog. I pray your learn more about other cultures and life in general. God bless and keep you!

Sunday, October 28, 2012

Run Away! Run Away!

So this weekend I had plans to stay overnight at a friends' house after a bookclub meeting.  I ended up having to call and cancel due to some circumstances so was instead on campus.  The kids who want to attend this school as freshmen in middle school had testing today to see how smart they are.  All students, whether they are going into kindergarten, elementary, middle, high, or university, must take entrance exams.  They evidently were done at 12:30pm.  The precise moment I left my apartment for the office.  Every space that could have a parked car had one.  It was a traffic jam for those trying to leave.  There were plenty more on foot.  I am very self conscious and kept bowing to everyone I passed.  The parents are super respectful of foreign teachers I guess.  They all replied with the Korean form of "hello" and bowed too.  I felt like a celebrity among awe inspired fans.  However I also know that they were evaluating me since their children will be teaching under me.  Parents, at least in Korea, you don't worry or they have the power to make life hard for you.  It isn't the teachers or principle in charge, as much as you might think, but the parents.


1 comment:

  1. Aren't the parents in charge here too? Your kid gets a bad grade, you go gang up on the teacher/principal to give them a good one. Or maybe that's just a stereotype...

    ReplyDelete