Welcome!

I'm glad you are here to read my blog. I pray your learn more about other cultures and life in general. God bless and keep you!

Friday, September 23, 2011

Blue

There is a song my Eiffel 66 called Blue.  I think today it fits in its own way.

This is the first day I have walked into my classroom and office not upbeat.  I have no classes today.  So I will be doing all the lesson plans for next week.  Then making sure I have ready material for those classes.  If I get it done today, the weekend is mine.  I plan to save powerpoints though for Sunday.  That way I can make them on my computer.  My computer in the office is in Korean.  You know what to do and where to go using icons.  Actually, after the first day, it began to get easy.  More so than I thought it could be.  You just need someone to assist you that first day - the day of firsts.

Breakfast they served cereal.  Good normal cereal... almost.  They mixed several boxes together to create a blend: frosted flakes, chocolate puffs, and another chocolate like cereal.  Since I only drink milk twice a week in small amounts, I am having no adverse affects to lactose products.

I was so excited over the pretty much western food.  I made the mistake of eating it first.  To then switch and eat the rest of my rather spicy meal was hard.  I couldn't finish it.  I truly want a whole meal of western food.  For a day.  I'll be fine.  I just need to have some of these foods become familiar to me.  Then I can adjust more easily.

Writing it here helps.  Bloggers, should you ever go abroad or someplace different from your own, write down your experiences.  Get others imput.  The awe and fascination from those you left behind for that which you are experiencing will remind you why you came in the first place.  It helps you keep your chin up.

Also, learn to use chopsticks.  It is good exercise.  That way when you do go abroad you will have an edge.  Just note, that no matter how good you get, nothing prepares you for using them constantly day after day.  Your fingers will rebel.  The chopsticks here are not wooden like they are in the states.  They are metal.  So they are both heavily and more slick for holding food.  No matter you have the coordination down, it is still a challenge.  For those who come without any previous knowledge - I pity you.  Learn.

2 comments:

  1. Mom - ConnieCockleshellSeptember 24, 2011 at 4:46 PM

    I think I would get more to eat, Mindy, if I just left the chopsticks aside and ate with my fingers, even the soup! Unless, I could stab a larger piece of food with a chopstick and eat it like a popsicle.

    I know, I know. Everyone there would be horrified.

    You can start your pity party for me now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. it isn't just chopsticks, but unfamiliar food that make eating a meal hard... it is something one just needs to become familiar with as quickly as possible

    ReplyDelete