Welcome!

I'm glad you are here to read my blog. I pray your learn more about other cultures and life in general. God bless and keep you!

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Culture

Interesting things to know:

They have very specific ideas of beauty in other individuals.  What is pretty to them is long hair, big eyes, small heads, and pale skin.  That is so different from what Americans want.  I would love to have their skin zone... it is a year round tan!

Kimchi!  I have been trying to figure out how to pick out the pieces I am more likely going to enjoy.  A fellow teacher kindly pointed out the green parts (spinach?  seaweed?) are going to be hotter because there is usually more red sauce on it.  The white parts (cabbage?) are more crunchy (yeah!) and you can see where the res sauce is concentrated at easier there.

The soups here are absolutely divine!  Dumping soup.  Soup with green stuff in it.  So far never had a soup I didn't enjoy immensely :)

What is amusing is that some of the Koreans that teach here don't know what is in all the food.  There is a side that is served almost every meal everywhere here.  It is greens!  Long skinny things that can be crunchy :)  I asked what it was with the thought I would like to make it for a friend back home who likes garlic... no one know what is it though.  It is drenched in garlic though!

3 comments:

  1. Mom - ConnieCockleshellSeptember 22, 2011 at 5:23 PM

    Teacher Mindy, are you eating all these things with chopsticks? Are some foods eaten with it held in your fingers?


    I wish above all things that you may be in good health, even as your soul prospers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I eat a lot with chopsticks... very little with a spoon, and even less with my hands :)

    ReplyDelete