Welcome!

I'm glad you are here to read my blog. I pray your learn more about other cultures and life in general. God bless and keep you!

Monday, September 19, 2011

First Day!

So today was my first day teaching.  I hope I didn't step on to many feet... so many culture differences!  To be on the safe side I have started just nodding my head to everyone all the time.  Even to students!!

Walked into my first class, asked what I was teaching, what grade my students were in, and where was the textbook.  We figured it out.  I had a backup... a powerpoint introducing myself.  Basically found ways to keep talking and asking them questions.  They got their English in for the day... maybe not so much on the content.  By the time my morning classes were over, I felt overwhelmed and ready to crash.  The key though is to find something to discuss... keep the questions coming!

The afternoon went a lot better.  I had by then a chance to look over the material and plan what to do.  I ended my day basically on a high.  Completely happy and glad I am a teacher.  Only returning to the apartment by myself dimmed that.

I think that the hardest part about my apartment is it isn't familiar to me.  No handmade quilts or large soft pillows.  On the other end... I enjoy having all shoes stay by the door.  Did you know the bathroom shoes stay in the bathroom?  Cool huh :D

It is getting pretty cool at night now.  I had to shut my windows.  I think I will need to turn on the heater by the end of the week too.

Culture:  Something of interest... when people want to bury their dead they can go anywhere on any of the surrounding mountain slopes and bury them.  So there are random white stones and pillars poking up with mounds under or behind them.  It all looks pretty nice and are kept in good shape.  The respect for humanity even after they pass away is amazing.

I'm determined to be able to read Korean.  I'm told it is easier to do than speak so I printed out the alphabet and will see where it goes.  I need to get on my feet first in my classes though.  My advice to you... get a passport.  Someday in the next 10 years, you might need it.

By the way, for lunch I ate Lotus Root!  I liked the soup more.  They serve soup often.  And rice.  And Kimchi... I think the stuff is getting spicier!  There is often one or two other sides.  Then there is a specialty item that is generally considered dessert.  Americans wouldn't know that is was... they don't focus on sweets here.

Learned to play monopoly with cards... there is a card game of it!  Five of us got together... I walked in on them and they invited me over to destress :D

Hint: If you come over and dearly love your curling iron or blow drying or alarm clock... save yourself some trouble, but it here.  Yes, I bought an alarm clock here.  Don't regret it either :)

2 comments:

  1. Mom - ConnieCockleshellSeptember 22, 2011 at 5:16 PM

    Being able to read Korean would enhance your visits to the stores and know what to call things you are looking for. Teaching and learning a new language in this short time sounds formidable. I know you will finish this work assignment knowing how to speak the Korean language to some degree.

    May the Lord, Mighty God, ....bless and keep you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nervous about trying to learn another language... but if I can grasp just a little it will help me!

    ReplyDelete