Welcome!

I'm glad you are here to read my blog. I pray your learn more about other cultures and life in general. God bless and keep you!

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Routine.

I can not stress enough how important it is to get a routine down as quickly as possible when you travel overseas.  Have people you hang out with at certain times.  Have activities you do on schedule so that what, where, and how you do those activities are extremely familiar.  This helps you to deal with culture shock when it hits... whether quickly or gradually.

This is what I have been doing.  Before I came here, I had started daily devotions by reading a chapter a day out of the Bible.  I began with Romans and am now in 2 Corinthians.  When I got here, it was hard to not just crawl in bed and hide.  I kept it up.

Also, the staff have worship every morning at the school.  It is routine to meet together.  If for nothing else, then the familiarity.  Usually though, I gain something from it.

Then a dear friend of mine agreed to do an online Bible study on facebook.  We message each other as we read along anything we find, observe, realize, or just thoughts on what the other person said.  This is something I have found extremely gratifying because I am digging deeper into the Bible with a friend.

Several times a week after classes are over, a few English teaching staff meet together to play monopoly deal.  A stress reliever that has saved me several times.  We play in the same room with the same general group of people around the same time.  And it is fun.

Meal times I always go with one of the English teaching staff.  We leave the main building together.  We talk and walk to the cafe.  We eat and comment.  Then we head out together.  It is a routine.  Something you can depend on.

Also a friend and I go walking two or three times a week depending on the schedule.  We got almost if not more than two miles.  It is always at the same time of day... with the day depending on other commitments.  Something I can count on.

Something I want to add to my routine is Tai Chi several times a week.  This is a slow and easy exercise that will help strengthen my joints as well as improve my balance.

Tonight I tried something new... to see if it was something I might also want to add to my life.  Hip Hop dance moves... more fast paced than Tai Chi.  Something to help burn restless energy that can plague a person.  In the next week I will either keep it or get rid of it.  Don't be afraid to add new things to your life.

Routine is very important overseas.  Yes, I may want to sleep in just once.  I won't let myself though.  No matter if I have less to do, I get up.  I won't sleep in on weekdays for any reason.  It is routine.

Routine helps with adjusting to a new place and creating familiarity around you.  This familiarity saves your hide when the frustration and despair stage hit you.  I am not immune to culture shock.  I have started to experience it.  I know it will get worse before it gets better.  Knowing this, I pray and mentally prepare myself to have a good day.

1 comment:

  1. Mom - Connie L VealOctober 1, 2011 at 5:37 PM

    I can appreciate that you have some familiar routines that you can count on as you learn more of the ways and practices of others in a country far from the home region you grew up in! This is good!

    ReplyDelete