Welcome!

I'm glad you are here to read my blog. I pray your learn more about other cultures and life in general. God bless and keep you!

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Red Names

In South Korea, their culture is steeped in ancestor worship.  Anything that refers to the dead had better be in the appropriate way or they are mortally offended.  They care for their graves with care.  They ensure offerings are often.  Etc.

You don't poke your chopsticks into the rice bowl... that is how offerings are left at graves.

You don't write a name in red... unless that person is dead.

I knew that before I came here.  I knew that before I graduated.  So why did I forget?

I was grading papers and writing comments to my students when I realized I was addressing them in the notes by name.  My grading pen is red.  I am going back through them now and using white out.  I will rewrite their names in black ink.  *sigh*  Guess you have to mess up sometime.  Better to catch yourself and make the corrections before any offense can occur.

1 comment:

  1. Mom - ConnieCockleshellSeptember 22, 2011 at 6:20 PM

    Wow ~ You are going to always have pause when using a red ink pen while writing for years to come! :)

    ReplyDelete