Welcome!

I'm glad you are here to read my blog. I pray your learn more about other cultures and life in general. God bless and keep you!

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Communications

When visiting South Korea, you have to be patient and understanding when talking with a Korean.  Not that they will be offended or anything.  It is instead how one talks.  They speak Korean.  When they learn English, they have a tendency to add syllables.  Instead of saying the word "change," they would say "changeling."  This tendency that surpaces simple accent barriers is known as Konglish.  A mix of Korean and English in such a way that though they understand each other, an American would have to learn the language.  As an English teacher, I am supposed to notice and correct the speaking behaviors of my students.  As an American, it is hard to tell what is simply accent and what is truly misspoken.  I will learn, just as they.

2 comments:

  1. Mom - ConnieCockleshellSeptember 22, 2011 at 5:54 PM

    It would be difficult, I think, to work with the conversational English education. There is so much more to communication than the spoken word.

    What a big job to tackle!

    All things are possible with God!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to laugh at Konglish! That's too funny. Probably what WE do to them! We could call that Engorean :D

    ReplyDelete