Welcome!

I'm glad you are here to read my blog. I pray your learn more about other cultures and life in general. God bless and keep you!

Monday, March 5, 2012

Dentist Trip

I have to say... I love the dentist I went to.

Well your probably wondering what going to the dentist is like in Korea.  It is different.  Same in many ways, but different.

Teacher Oh drove me to the dentist office.  Turns out to be right there by the Gyeongsan market, so I probably could just take the bus in.  Definitely took the bus back in consideration of Teacher Oh.

We walked to the building, went up the stairs, and inside.  At the entry way you take off your shoes and put on slippers (flipflops on steroids for Americans).  Then you fill out a little bit of paperwork and sit down.  They then take you into a small room (it couldn't possibly get smaller, no joke) where you stand with your face in a machine.  They take an xray... no protection like the vests you wear in America.  Then you go sit in a chair.  There is a TV in front of you if you wish to watch.  There are cups, a water filter, and a basin with a drain for you.  One armrest, and I made use of that.

The doctor asks plainly, "What's wrong with you?"  I told him I had a hole in my tooth.  He looked at it, told me it had severe decay, and that I needed a root canal procedure.  Oh Lord, give me strength.  Another nightmare alert.  With that said, he said they were going to give me a pain blocker.  They pulled out a needle, used it, and I felt relief that it was nicer done than experienced stateside.

Then after a few minutes (less time than in the states) he was working on that tooth, or what was left of it I suppose.  Packed it with something so that it would be okay until next time.  Over the next three or four weeks they will be doing the root canal.  I will be going in twice a week.

Here is the neat part.  30-40 dollars for the whole procedure.  I love my health insurance.  Now the crown, if I wish to have it, is considered beauty instead of necessary... so I pay the full thing for it.  Another $400 and I am good to go.

From the time they called me in the waiting room to the moment they let me out of that chair... about 15 minutes.  A lot faster than the hour long, painful, tiring, and oftened incorrect visits done previously in America.  I do think this dentist is going to be alright.  Maybe, just maybe, I'll get through a trip without some screw up or something.  Kinda looking forward to this... the better experience, not another root canal.

Can't figure out why my teeth are more fragile than most others.  Probably the amount of sweets, sugar, and junk food I eat.  Did you know that cavemen didn't really have many cavities?  It wasn't until Europe started indulging in sweets in the later Medieval ages that cavities became a problem.  So... frail teeth or sweet tooth... take your pick.

1 comment:

  1. I hope the lack of x-ray protection for you doesn't cause you any reproductive problems should you decide to marry and should you decide to have children.

    I wasn't the parent that had you licking melted chocolate off a finger when you were a fairly newborn infant, by the way. :|

    ReplyDelete