Welcome!

I'm glad you are here to read my blog. I pray your learn more about other cultures and life in general. God bless and keep you!

Sunday, March 25, 2012

Subway Friend

Last night when I was coming back from downtown Daegu with Michael P. and Willis, I met someone on the subway.  There was a free spot on the subway and I offered her the place.  She spoke in English saying no thank you.  That surprised me, but I shrugged it off and sat.  Soon another lady left and I again motioned for her to sit and that was when I realized she wasn't Korean.

Jennifer had just gotten to South Korea this semester.  She is actually from Nebraska!  Yay!  A lot younger than me, though she doesn't look it, she is here as both a student and a teacher.  And guess what, she teaches at the elementary school in the village just outside my school.  The awesomeness of running into an English teacher out in the middle of nowhere is amazing.  Michael and I started talking with her.  We kept it up and exchanged information.  I mentioned I was going to go check out a Presbyterian church on Sunday and her eyes lit up.  She isn't that denomination but was looking for a church to go too.  I invited her along.

Today I got a text from Karl, the fellow whose house is where I go for Bible Studies.  He offered to give me a ride since his wife was staying with their youngest child who was sick.  I asked if I could bring my new friend along.  We got to the church and were greeted by the greeting group.  Three ladies at the door was there to welcome everyone in.  They were expecting us thanks to our driver :)  So we made some fast friends and... I was introduced to another person who is from Kansas.

There is a Korean lady who lived in Kansas for quite awhile when her husband was attending K-State.  We talked because I worked for the last 7 summers at a camp nearby.  Going to miss the camp, the routine, the praise program, and the horses over there :(  Anyrate, it was great to talk to her.  Also saw a lady from the study group there :)

Then afterwards we made another friend.  She was really nice and it was great talking to her.  While we were talking to her, I saw Keith from the Bible Study and introduced him to the friend I brought.  Then Eric (also from the Bible Study) came over.  My friend said hi to him by name and I was like, you know each other?  He had lead out in orienteering for her program when she first came.  Then another friend, Christiansen, from the study group came over and I realized I had friends.  Christian friends.

And they all know Michael P.  They were wondering how I knew him and so I retold that story.  I am planning on going back.  Being in a Christian atmosphere where I can worship God is so important to me.  And I understand the language because the songs, sermon, announcements, etc are all in English!  It means a lot more to me.

1 comment:

  1. Mom - Connie VealMay 3, 2012 at 4:15 PM

    Isn't it amazing how small our world is and how Christians can help uplift each other!

    ReplyDelete