Welcome!

I'm glad you are here to read my blog. I pray your learn more about other cultures and life in general. God bless and keep you!

Friday, March 30, 2012

Payday

Been waiting for today for a long time.  So glad it came.  Today started out like any other Friday.  Got up.  Got breakfast... and on Fridays they have cereal!  YES!  Went to staff worship.  Had to explain to the newbies that our assistants also have to go to morning just like us.  Though they changed something this year, our Korean assistant doesn't have to come help with sabbath school or church on Saturday like last year... yet they more than doubled our weekend work load.  Strange.

Anyrate, back to wonderful payday and Friday.  Had fun with my conversation classes.  We played 20 questions.  Then I took the words the students had used and wrote them all on the board.  Put them into groups and told them to create conversations using those words.  Then they presented them to the class.  Next week... mad libs!

For the literature class today, we are starting a new story titled La Bamba.  I love saying that word.  I explained how the author writes his stories, where La Bamba came from, a famous artist who adapted that song into the famous song we all know (or do now) today, and then introduced them to their vocabulary words.  Poor students... one of the words was pantomime.  I created mini stories with the students' names and I had some girls with that word.  They were pulled up front to practice this technique impromptu.  They were so nervous.  We had time, so I let them drag friends up when they were done to mime as well.  We kept going until all of the students had a chance.  They were really good and we guessed what they were trying to tell us easily.  Next time, they can mime sentences.  It can be done... just type "mime" into youtube.

With classes out of the way, I grabbed my umbrella and shoulder bag on my way out the door.  Teacher Geoff lives in Gyeongsan so he gave me a lift to Sinmae station.  Eternally grateful to him as it was out of his way.  And we talked about a lot of stuff so I got advice on some otherwise obscure topics.  So obscure in fact, that I don't remember now what they were.  Oh yeah, living expenses and saving money.  Guess that isn't really obscure.  Basically, get married and pay off student loans.  The first isn't happening anytime soon but the second I can work on.

Went to the bank and wired money to the US to cover my loans this month.  That didn't take long at all so I headed out to find lunch.  Was going to go to McDonalds but detoured to Outback Stakehouse.  Glad I did.  I went up and walked in, the waitress asked how many.  I said just one.  The look of surprise on her face was pretty funny.  In Korea, you don't eat by yourself.  To do so means your unpopular and there is a name for people who are unpopular.  It is so ingrained into their culture that teachers I don't know will wait for me if they see me heading to the cafe by myself.  If I still end up by myself, a student will join me so that I am not alone.  Anyrate, back to lunch.  I sat and thanked the waitress in Korean without thinking about it.  She asked in perfect English if I spoke Korean.  I didn't and said I really just knew two words.  The staff that served me were very polite, prompt, and friendly.  They even waved goodbye instead of bowing.  I can't stress how American that was of them.

In fact, a high five is now foreign to me.  As is a handshake or a hug.  I wave or bow.  Preferably wave, but bowing is also second nature now.  Speaking of second nature, I really prefer chopsticks now.  At least for salads.  Forks and salads don't get along.  I still prefer forks for long pastas... but you don't know what you are missing when your not used to using chopsticks.  Seriously, salads are so easy to eat now.

Back to today.  After a wonderful meal, I headed out and realized that I was ahead of schedule.  So I stopped in at Angel-in-us Cafe and ordered a drink.  There were two guys working and the one at the register spoke limited English well enough for me to order without having to point.  The other guy simply glanced sideways at him and smiled.  Both of them seemed amused for some reason and liked serving me.  Strange.  Anyrate, got my drink with a beautiful caramel drizzle across the top and headed upstairs.  Angel-in-us Cafe has seats that resemble either couches or armchairs.  They are super padded and the whole place is set up to relax you.  I often see students studying or groups of two quietly socializing.  I pulled out a book.  It wasn't long before I realized in this lounge that music was playing.  Music I recognized.  Think of the major hits from the 90s in America and that was what was playing.  I teared up.  It was very nostalgic.

Felt restless after awhile and hopped on a bus to head to Gyeongsan's downtown.  Bought some drawing supplies at S dot.  Then walked around the small outdoor market.  It is really small.  Maybe just 3 or 4 block long and possibly 2 blocks wide.  Not sure.  Walked until it was time for my dentist appointment.  By the way, navigating crowded sidewalks when EVERYONE has an umbrella takes talent.  Sometimes you raise your umbrella a little higher and sometimes your slouch.  It is like the game tetris.

Got to the dentist and entered the building.  The office is on the second floor.  Put my umbrella in the bin by the door, switched to black slippers, and sat in the waiting room.  The assistants have learned to say, "Mindy, please come in," when it is my turn to take an empty dentist chair.  The root canal is progressing nicely.  The root is all out.  They did a lot of drilling today and packed it with something hard and more permanent.  I believe the crown is all that is left.  Communicating with their limited English and my understanding of their word choice was fun, but worthwhile.  I think both sides felt accomplishment when we were able to get the message across.

When that was done, I happily went to E Mart.  I was paid remember.  Bought a scale and a badminton set.  Scales are handy for checking luggage weight you know.  I am playing badminton at least once a week now too.  Needed my own racket.  Picked up some groceries.  Took the bus back.  When I first got here, I always wanted to take the taxi as they went straight to the school.  However I am comfortable with buses now and they are a LOT cheaper.

My skills on the bus have improved greatly.  Today I kept my balance well, even when others lost their and fell into me.  I was able to stay up and support their weight too.  The poor boy looked up, saw I was a foreigner, and got the most sad and apologetic look I have ever seen.  I just smiled and knodded.  I didn't know how else to say it was okay.  Saying Kom-saw-me-da (thank you) didn't seem appropriate.  He looked relieved so I guess he understood.

Once back in Jain, I grabbed a taxi for the last leg back.  They are slowly all getting to know me.  In Korea it is rude to leave tips.  However, taxi driver really don't mind.  So I think I am going to have a new policy.  5,000 won straight up for the ride from Jain to my apartment.  It is actually 4,300 to 4,500... but that remaining 500 won is less than 50 cents in American Dollar.  They are going the extra mile to go past the front gate up to my apartment and they are really considerate.  I figure if I return the gesture, that they will like me more.  Taxi drivers are good people to have like you.

Now I am back in my apartment.  The Sabbath hours are here.  I wish I could say they will be restful.  The school keeps changing what they want us to do.  Since my last cold, I haven't gotten my singing voice back yet.  Speaking of my traits... the Korean teachers and students here are baffled at why I don't have a boyfriend.  They honestly think I am super beautiful.  I not skinny with bleached skin... but to them I am a gorgeous person.  They don't know why I don't have a boyfriend.  How to explain...

1 comment:

  1. Mom - Connie VealMay 3, 2012 at 5:18 PM

    Payday sounds like a totally fun day, Teacher Mindy! I enjoyed reading the descriptions of the places, sights and sounds, people you interacted with. Seems so very friendly. I am glad for you!
    Your mime to the boy on the bus seems to have been quite successful, Teacher! :)

    ReplyDelete