Welcome!

I'm glad you are here to read my blog. I pray your learn more about other cultures and life in general. God bless and keep you!

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Description

Today after my freshmen literature class finished reading "Priscilla and the Wimps," I had them do some activities that help with critical thinking skills.  One of the activities was to look at a certain paragraph that describes how Monk Klutter dresses and if that is how you imagine a bully dressing.  The students asked what the word "description" meant.

I explained that describing something was explaining what it looked like, smelled like, sounded like, tasted like, and felt like.

For example, how would you describe me?  I'm tall, brown hair, classes, slacks, layered shirt.  They knodded in understanding.  Then I took it the next step.  Would you describe me as looking like a teacher.  Their answer?  "No teacher.  You look like student.  Your very young."  - !!!WHAT!!!

Okay.  Would you say Monk is dressed like a bully?  "No teacher.  He dressed like rich person."  Sigh.

American culture versus Korean culture.

In America, I would assume the fellow in school dressed like that was a bully.  In Korea though, that is a guy with good fashion sense.

I evidently need to find ways to look more professional.  Will do something with my hair tomorrow.  Probably french braid it.  Then wear a jacket... not the kind for warmth either.  Maybe research how to appear older as that is the key factor.

2 comments:

  1. I was also told I looked too young to be a teacher last year, so in order to look older I took more time with my hair and picked out outfits that I could accessorize with. Little things like "fashion" belts, a watch, or wearing a skirt every once in a while helped with looking more mature. I hope that you are enjoying your time and look forward to reading more in your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom - Connie L VealMarch 18, 2012 at 6:24 AM

    I don't think I would try to give up looking like I was young. You are already wearing the clothing that teachers wear. Hair arrangement can make a BIG difference in how others treat your authority.

    As an unprejudiced mom, I think your hair is always nice and that you are doing just fine. You ARE young, and I wouldn't want to speed the years up looking older. ;)

    ReplyDelete