Welcome!

I'm glad you are here to read my blog. I pray your learn more about other cultures and life in general. God bless and keep you!

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Flowers and Wax

Today we went to chapel.  It was crowded with the whole student body there.  So we sat along the back wall and wondered where the students who would translate would sit.  That didn't turn out to be an option.  We were ushered to the side room beside the stage.  Looking professional, but inside full of questions, we walked onto stage and sat.  Then stood to receive flowers.  I have a lovely red, pink, and purple bundle of amazingness.  Then we sat and clapped absentmindly as different teachers stood, said something, students came up, got a gift, and then on to the next student.  After that they had a candle service.

Did you know as the max builds, you can watch your pulse as the candle moves in time with the rythmn of your heart.  Praying that they would end soon, I was grateful as they prayed and dismissed us.  I gently blew out the candle and whispered in the quiet of my mind to cool.  Then I started to turn and the wax slipped down.  It was hot.  I gasped through my teeth and pulled myself into a stoic mindset, telling myself not to drop the candle or shake my hand wildly.  The heat and pain would pass.  We filled off stage and I gladly through the candle away.

At the start of the aisle, there were students lining the walkway in addition to those standing at their seats.  We walked up through cheering and happy students.  I was reminded what makes this job from simply a job to amazing.  The students.  They are worth everything.  The smiles, banter, hugs, encouragement, and daily life with the students make this job truly enjoyable.

Though the school occasionally giving gifts, expensive flowers, and helping me with appointments like say the dentist sure go a long way too.  Seeing that they are trying to help me have a good school year makes a lot of things better.  It is easy to get upset, discouraged, or think that life is unfair.  Yet when I think about what a job in the states would be like compared to here, I am reminded that this is a good place and the problems I face would be similar in the states.

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful experience, Teacher!

    other than the hot wax burning your skin...

    It is all about God and His children, isn't it! :)
    Whether or not everyone realizes it or not.

    ReplyDelete