Welcome!

I'm glad you are here to read my blog. I pray your learn more about other cultures and life in general. God bless and keep you!

Saturday, September 22, 2012

Family Life

With Chusok coming up, the ladies I hung out with today couldn't help but bring up the woman's role during this wondeful (or not) holiday.  With us starting the book "Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen, I was explaining the little I knew about the culture of that day and age to them.  In addition to this, they were curious what life was like for Americans and their in-laws.  I said we were one big family.  They said that in-laws don't like the daughter... that she is competition to them for their son's love.  Even the parents fight over their kids' love.

In the case of Chusok, the Korean Thanksgiving, women are expected to prepare gifts, food and to get a lot of cleaning done.  Then men and children play and watch TV.  Woman get sick from nervousness before it and are exhausted to the point of sickness afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment