Welcome!

I'm glad you are here to read my blog. I pray your learn more about other cultures and life in general. God bless and keep you!

Monday, December 5, 2011

Fashion

Something interesting I noticed yesterday was in the fashion culture here.  It affects those who come over.  I talked to Teacher Michael about it and decided it was blog worthy.

Americans have a tendency to enjoy wearing jeans and casual shirts.  Jeans are relatively cheap compared to slacks.  Koreans on the other hand are always dressed business style.  Slacks are super cheap and jeans are extremely expense.  So when Koreans do wear jeans, they wear designer jeans that look good.

Foreigners come over here and live in this culture.  I can't because I'm too big, but you buy clothes here that fit and they are really nice and preppy by American standards.  Foreigners change when they come and live here.  Their sense of style changes.  They dress much nicer.  They become walking fashion statements.

Yesterday when I went to Daegu, I went in black sweaters that had a red logo, a blue shirt with pink and orange dessert cactus on the front, and my really nice winter coat from JCPenny's.  I looked in the mirror and thought, "Tacky, I'm going to get mobbed."  I went to Daegu and every foreigner I saw looked like he belonged in a prep school, New York, England, or Paris.  They had nice shirts, vests, hats that slant, and slacks.

However, if a foreigner just arrives, you know they are new.  The way they dress screams, "American."  They wear casual jeans, t-shirts, sweaters, whatever.

1 comment:

  1. Looking good is very important. That is why I got an assortment of pj's & nightgowns to wear around the house every day. :) Well, not anymore.....
    I have friends who stop in, so I am "up for the day & dressed" or it is night & I can run around the house in my warm nightwear. What a person wears says a lot about them. What gets me is how personality makes a huge difference. Two persons can dress "down" alike, yet can be received by others totally differently.

    ReplyDelete