Welcome!

I'm glad you are here to read my blog. I pray your learn more about other cultures and life in general. God bless and keep you!

Monday, November 28, 2011

First Day - Japan

Okay, so right off the bat I am just going to say... I don't handle airports and planes very well.  At all.  That said you can imagine I had no appetite before I got to Busan and was feeling rather nauseous from the moment I went inside the airport to the moment I finally landed.  With that horrible bit of info out of the way, let's discuss me going to Japan!

Teacher Oh picked me up at 5am and took me to the bus station.  I got a nice bus ride straight to Gimhae.  That is how I suggest getting to and from airports.  Anyrate, then I went inside and got my ticket.  The security guards are young men in black walking in teams of two... and looking so incredible.  Oh man.

Then I went through security.  Their security is a bit lax.  You don't have to take off your shoes and pull out your liquids.  They just want your laptop out.  That is all.  That was easy.  Got some breakfast, of which I could only eat half.  Then I changed my 500,000 won for about 30000 yen.  Okay that sucked.  Finally it was time to get on the plane.  Went through the gate, down some stairs, onto a bus, walked to the plane and climbed on.  Did I mention I wasn't feeling so good by this point?  Anyrate I got some pics of Japan as we went over.

Then we landed.  I gladly got off that plane... after making some insane eye contact with a pair of intense eyes.  Why am I do attracted to all these men?  At least it wasn't one way.  Thankfully lost him in the crowd.  Well, I let him go on ahead.  Found my way on a tram to the main building where I walked through quarantine, inspection, and finally immigration.  Once through all that, I happily made my way out to the train platform.  I pulled out a map, pointed at Namba Station, and asked what to do.  Everyone was really helpful. Not in the nice and smiley way that Koreans are.  More professional and formal.  I went where they pointed and sat down on a train.  Stayed on that for like 50 minutes until I got to Namba Station.

I was armed with my map and headed eagerly outside.  Half a block later I was lost.  So I asked some traffic person for help.  He scratched his head and muttered train station... then called some fellow who knew a few more English words to help me.  I didn't understand his Japanese, but I did make out some of the pidgin English... so I got to walking and finally found my hotel.  Checked in and then headed to the Korean Embassy.

That was quite the experience.  I saw a lot of stuff and made mental notes to get pics on the way back or stop by to shop for food tomorrow.  Used 2/3rds of my yen already on transportation, hotel, visa... *sigh*.  At least McDonalds is cheap.  Sorta.  Compared to everything else, yes.  Compared to America, no.

Got to the embassy, went inside.  Allowed my complete exhaustion to show in my face as I asked "What now?"  Did I mention I didn't sleep well all weekend?  Particularly the night before I flew?  I was tired.  Like I would start to zone out and have crazy dreams that made no sense, only to jerk awake.  Anyrate, a lot of paperwork and even more time spent sitting... I finally get the visa stuff stored away.  No interview though.  That is kinda weird.  I can pick my visa up at 1:30 tomorrow.

So on the way back I pulled out my camera and started snapping pictures.  Found McDonalds and got a late lunch... well, I hadn't been eating so half then and the other half later for supper.  Then I made my way back to the hotel.  I was almost 3pm and check-in wasn't until 4pm... so I chilled and read a book.  Then the lady at the desk brought my key (which turns on the lights as well as unlocks my door), and a basket full of beauty products.  I picked up one of everything.  It was nice.

Then my vacation started.  I have a normal bathroom.  A bit small... like a camper.  However it has a tub and shower... so I took a bath.  And then a little later I took another.  And I used a face mask and pampered myself.  I enjoyed sitting back and reading.  I plan to sleep well tonight.  They provide slippers, coffee, all toiletry items anyone could need, pajamas, a pants press, New Testement, Buddha book... TV that is all in Japanese... At least the heating is the same as in Korea :)  Figured that out easily enough.  It is a lot warmer here though.  I am grateful for that.  It would suck though if there was a tsunami right now... I am pretty sure I am only a foot above sea level.  Your either on a mountain or you are not.  Most are not.

Anyrate, I am sure there was a lot more I was going to say.  However the outlets are not like American outlets or Korean outlets so I have limited battery.  And I want to post some pics on facebook yet tonight.  So I am going to go.

Tomorrow's plan is check out by 10am.  Walk around and eat until 1:30.  Get my visa.  Get to the train station.  Get to the airport.  Wait for plane... go back to Korea... at like 8pm at night.  Call Teacher Oh and let him know when my bus leaves.  Get on bus and have him pick me up in Daegu probably around 10pm.  Get back home around 10:45 or 11?  Maybe?  Then get up early and teach?

Actually I want to thank Teacher Oh right now and right here.  He is getting only a few hours of sleep transporting me all over... getting home late, leaving early... and dealing with a newborn kid.  So he is in worse shape than me.  I pray he didn't fall asleep at the wheel this morning after dropping me off.

Now I am saying bye.  God bless!

1 comment:

  1. It is so comforting to know that you have wonderful school staff who work so hard to help out - a sacrifice of Christian love.

    It is good to know that you did navigate out and about successfully in Japan your first day there - even if you started out lost when ready to find your hotel.

    Praying for your safety and good traveling on your way back to South Korea! Life is an adventure! Hope this adventure leaves you with many wonderful memories of the new sights and experiences! God's blessings for you!

    ReplyDelete