Welcome!

I'm glad you are here to read my blog. I pray your learn more about other cultures and life in general. God bless and keep you!

Friday, November 25, 2011

Korean/American words

So you know how I am over here and should be learning some of the Korean language.  And that is a good idea, I'm not saying it isn't.  I just want to show how different a lot of things are.  Americans call South Koreans, well, Koreans.  And we call their language Korean.  We do this in fact for many cultures.

However, they are not actually Koreans... and their language isn't Korean.  South Koreans call themselves Hanguk-in.  And their written language is Hangul.  Their traditional clothes are called Hanbok.  Notice that these all start with "Han."  If you are from North Korea then it is entirely different.

South Koreans call Americans by a completely different name.  Our country and citizenship doesn't sound even close to what they call us.  I don't remember what the names are, and I apologize for that.  Just thought it was interesting.

2 comments:

  1. Since so many words in the English language come from nations all over the world, what are some of the words that come from South Korea that we all would identify and know the meaning of? I don't picture soy sauce as one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There hasn't been really many words that come from Korea in the normal English language. Most of the English language is latin based, celtic based, british based... any culture that had a large impact on English speaking countries. Korea is relatively new to our scene so no dice.

    ReplyDelete