Welcome!

I'm glad you are here to read my blog. I pray your learn more about other cultures and life in general. God bless and keep you!

Friday, November 11, 2011

Happy Pepero Day!

Today is Pepero Day.  Not just Pepero Day, but Millennium Pepero Day.  Pepero Day is on November 11.  Due to this year being 2011, the date for Pepero Day is 11-11-11.  The Koreans are celebrating with extra enthusiasm for it.  They have momento bags, balloons, and who knows what else.

What is Pepero Day you ask?  I will tell you.  Pepero Day is very much like Valentines Day.  Young people and couples give each other Pepero.

What is Pepero you ask?  I will tell you.  Pepero is a candy.  It is a thin, tall pretzel-like stick covered usually in chocolate.  There are many variations than before as now there are peanuts and chocolate, almonds and chocolate, and even sticks filled with chocolate.  It is a pretty big deal.

I don't think there is even any classes today.  The students are running wild throughout the building.  I have already bought a big box filled with 40 smaller boxes of Pepero.  I labeled names of my sophomore literature students on some of them to be given to them.  I don't have to worry about the other ones though I have extra boxes in case students should ask.  If they come and ask, I have to give.  Well, don't have to.  It is nice to though :)

I have already received several.

I have already given several.

The most momentous was when Teacher Michael and I each went to the teachers' room to give Vice Principle Kim a box of Pepero.  It surprised everyone as they had not expected that of us.  They were all laughing softly.  It made him smile.

Then we got the nerve to knock on Principle Jun's office door and we gave him a box each of Pepero too.  We made sure we gave with both hands and bowed.  He returned the courtesy by shaking our hands.  I should have worn slip on shoes.  I bought some.  I just didn't think ahead of time and put them on.  You take your shoes off in his office :)

It has been an exciting day so far.  Waiting to see what happens over the rest of the morning and afternoon.

1 comment: