Welcome!

I'm glad you are here to read my blog. I pray your learn more about other cultures and life in general. God bless and keep you!

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Japan - But the Best End

So I woke up this morning and realized I had slept a wonderful and much needed 10 hours.  Enjoyed using the beauty products the hotel provided me with, then went downstairs to check out.  Check out was at 10am, so I have 3.5 hours to kill before I could go get my visa.  I pulled out the map I had picked up at the hotel and planned a route to food... the scenic route of course.  Got to see a shrine, temple, and two parks.  The first park was for walking dogs.  The second was for little kids.  Neither had benches, chairs, or tables.  So I kept going.  People watched for quite a while.  Walked in a shopping area where the street is closed to traffic and the top is covered with a roof.  Found a starbucks there... but didn't get any.

At the embassy, I found two white guys ahead of me.  Recognized one from the day before.  Typical.  Neither spoke to me.  Outside on my way in, I saw a middle aged couple.  I managed to catch the lady's eye and smile.  She returned the smile.  Finally, a foreigner acknowledged me.  *sigh*

Now that I was armed with my visa, I merrily made my way back to Namba Station... and got lost at the front door.  It is more than a station, it is a mall.  Lovely.  However there was a map and an area with the Nankai Line or something close enough to that... so I went in that direction.  Saw signed with an airplane and that name, kept going.  Right up to second floor where there were ticket machines.  After five minutes of panicking over how to use them and what I wanted, a light bulb blinked on and I quickly got my ticket and headed to the tracks.

Once there, I approached a lady and held my ticket out to her.  I wanted to confirm I was at the right tracks and this train went to Kansai airport.  She looked desperately at me and finally got out "changee" while making circles with her two hands.  I understood and knodded my thanks.  I was at the right tracks, however I didn't want this train, but the next one.  An English announcement of the next train confirmed that.

Never have I been so eager to get to an airport.  Nor looked forward to a plane ride so much.  If there wasn't an ocean between me and my school, I wouldn't have been so nervous.  Made it to the airport, got something to eat (McDonalds) but couldn't finish it.  Some things about travel never change.  I went to throw my trash away and was curious what to do.  One said paper.  One said plastic.  One was for liquids.  Where though did I put my left over sandwich?  A worker there pointed to paper.  Paper is was.

Went up to 4th floor, did a survey and got a free playing card with an anime screenshot on it, got my ticket to my airplane... found my gate.  Again there was a cute guy.  He watched me a lot.  I watched him alot... when I wasn't sleeping.  What is it with finding cute guys everywhere I go?  Anyrate, a foreigner couple sat nearby when it was almost time to board.  I was laying there and suddenly realized I was hearing English.  I looked over at them thinking they were Asian because the girl's English was like my Korean students... but both of them were white.  I went back to sleep.  Finally boarded.  Plane took off.  Watch Osaka disappear below me, and it was a pretty view with the lights at night.

Got to Gimhae airport in Busan and happily bought a bus ticket.  While waiting for the bus I called Teacher Oh so he would know what time to pick me up at the bus station.  Asked some of those really good looking airport police if I could take a picture... they apologized and said no.  Disappointed, and a bit embarrassed, I hid in a food court and ate ice cream.  My throat hurt so it felt good.  Slight sore throat still here after the weekend.  Sadly.

Got on the bus, made it to Dongdaegu.  However it wasn't the same building that I got on the bus at.  So I was lost and was worried how Teacher Oh was going to find me.  Poor guy was tired as it was driving me to these appointments and caring for his newborn son.  I decided to start walking until I recognized something, but saw a payphone first.  Great, I would call him... but then I saw him coming towards me.  So grateful.

I made up for not talking much the last two days by talking to him.  Probably helped keep him awake.

I have three sets of Japanese coins... and more random coins but they aren't in sets.  The 50 coin was the rarest for me to get.  It has a hole!

I must have been biting my mouth in my sleep from the stress of this trip because it has a hole in the cheek that leeks clear, weird tasting liquid.  Looks like a sore sorta.  Hoping salt water swished around helps.  Or just cool juice.  Whatever helps it heal quickly!

Japan was expensive.  Compared to the USA, moderately so.  Compared to Korea, very much so.  I didn't do much shopping, but enjoyed seeing things and taking a few pics.  Though I didn't take much pictures because I didn't want to offend anyone.  *sigh*  It was a good experience and helped prove to myself that between Jesus and I, things will be okay.  He directs and takes care of me, and I soak up everything I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment