Welcome!

I'm glad you are here to read my blog. I pray your learn more about other cultures and life in general. God bless and keep you!

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

First Shopping Trip Alone

So my two fellow English teachers have been eager that I learn to travel by myself around South Korea.  Something simple like a shopping trip for instance.  This is an important skill to know.  It involves buses, subways, and taxis.  Also just plain conquering my fear of being alone.

So I decided that today I would go get on one of the buses the students take and go to E Mart without either of them.  It wasn't an easy decision.

They have spent the past two weeks talking to me about how I could get there and get back.  We went over options and where to go and how to do stuff.

I spent even more time mulling it over and over.  If I think about something enough, I usually end up doing it.

So plan A.  Get on the bus at the school that leaves at 5:25pm and ride it until I see E Mart, then at the next stop get off.  Cross the street.  Go to E Mart. Shop.  Then head outside.

From here there are many options.  The easiest thing to do is walk to the curb and climb into a taxi.  So that was the end of plan A.

Plan B.  Walk outside of E Mart and turn left.  Walk to the nearest bus stop.  I have three options:

1.  Get on a bus 399 that miraculously goes to Namsan, and walk the last ten minutes home.

2.  Get on bus 399 and end up at the bus station in Jain...
          a. walk an hour back.
          b.  get a taxi and be back in 5 minutes.

3.  Get on bus 990 and ride to Jain.
          a.  walk
          b.  taxi

Plan C.  You will love plan C.  Call for help:

1.  Via taxi cab driver
2.  Pay phone

I have three numbers I can call and say... foreign teacher delivery for Sahm Yook, how do you want her delivered.  And they would rush to save me.

In the case the taxi driver didn't understand my attempt to speak Sahm Yook, Namsan, or Jain... I have a lovely piece of paper covered in info.  Phone numbers of those who can give him directions.  The address of the school.  The address of a famous beef place in Namsan, from there I could direct the driver to school or walk.  Bus info.  Basically everything I need to get back to school.

Plan A worked well.  The backups weren't needed.

I took a taxi back.  The driver was super nice.  He drove carefully, slowly, in his lane, and spoke so clearly that I could hear each syllable.  That is an accomplishment.  When we got back, he didn't take 15,200 won... just the 15,000 won.  He got my bags out of the car for me.  He turned his taxi so the lights lit up my door so I could see to unlock it.  Really nice Korean!

1 comment:

  1. It is good to know how to take care of things on your own.

    I am glad that you had staffers who knew you were trying a trip alone for the first time.

    And glad you had a great taxi driver and a safe trip back home!

    ReplyDelete