Welcome!

I'm glad you are here to read my blog. I pray your learn more about other cultures and life in general. God bless and keep you!

Monday, October 17, 2011

Firsts

Had several firsts this weekend.

Due to lack of planning on my part, I didn't have enough food to eat all weekend in my apartment.  I mean I could have if I wanted really spicy and weird tasting ramen for each meal.  It just didn't seem like a good idea though.

So Saturday night I went to the cafe by myself for the first time.  I really rather not do things by myself.  Especially if I haven't done and been there before by myself.  I got to the cafe, hesitantly filled up my tray, and sat down near two staff.  They glanced over and went back to talking.  I picked up my chopsticks and started eating.  Which was hard since my hands were shaking so much.  That was one tasty meal though and dessert was really good.  Dough fried in a ring with the taste and texture of funnel cakes.  They were covered in sugar :)

Went again on Sunday for lunch and supper... with supper being amazing again.

Another first was I walked to Namsan by myself on Sunday.  I realized if I closed my eyes, it wouldn't be hard to imagine being at my grandparents farm.  When I got there, I ran into students at the bus stop.  The grocery store turned out to be closed, so I should have gone and hung out with them.  That way I wouldn't totally ride the bus alone.  I headed back home instead, and ran into more students on their way to town.  That was kinda neat.

Survived that as well :)

Then after supper one of the Korean teachers and I went for a walk.  She and I had sat together at supper and though we didn't say much, it was kinda neat what we did talk about.  We are all human with our own joys and fears.

4 comments:

  1. Hey, Teacher Mindy! I am glad that you had some cafeteria meals that you liked. And that you were spending time with the locals instead of totally alone. Quite precious!

    You will have a couple more choices, however long it takes for a care package to travel there. It has been an extra special fun thing to shop for items to send to you, after hearing of some of the things you do or do not have access to purchasing there. It really surprised me that you were not able to find lentils there. No worries - that problem will be solved as soon as your package arrives.
    Sending a care package overseas is a First for me, as well! I know you will appreciate having one when it finally arrives! It will probably be like sharing Thanksgiving long distance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet you anything I'm looking forward to that care package a lot more than you are to sending it. It is going to cost you a pretty penny you know. I'm excited to get it. It gives me something to hope for. I keep hoping for mail, but not really expecting it. So it is a treat when it arrives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Someone else here said when she came, she was told by a lot of people they would send her care packages. She never got one. I know my family and friends follow through when they say they are going to do something. I know I can trust you all. I love you all so much. It is hard being away from those I care about. Harder knowing how much distance there is. Hardest in that I can't walk or drive home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are very near in my heart, Mindy!

    Can't stop thinking about either of my twins!!!

    The time you spend away will seem short in the long-term and you will have memories and pictures and experiences you couldn't have had any other way that will strengthen you for whatever lays ahead when/if you decide to teach/work elsewhere.

    You will make it - you come from a line of strong family members! :)

    ReplyDelete