Welcome!

I'm glad you are here to read my blog. I pray your learn more about other cultures and life in general. God bless and keep you!

Monday, October 10, 2011

Sophomore Conversation

The conversation classes are well-known for being the hardest to classes to teach.  The Sophomores are well-known for being the toughest students to keep on task.  Put the two together and voila, pandemonium.

Today is the first day after midterms.  The students were not ready to get back into the swing of things.  It was pretty hectic and crazy.  As I was teaching the proper use of the words "for" and "when," they kept inserting into their sentences phrases like "play monopoloy deal" and "watch a movie."

Several students were very insistent that it was Korean culture to plays games after a test.  That I should adapt to Korean culture.  It was interesting to see their reactions when I told them I would email my superior concerning this and included a student's name in that.

Finally their energy knew no bounds.  Between talking louder than me, using Korean, and rough-housing I decided it was a good time to implement the homework stars.  I almost made two stars.  The first earned them 25 sentences.  Every time I have to do a star, that will go up.  Hopefully they start policing each other.  If not, then, well I will find a way to control my class.

I am going to definitely make a seating chart.  The ultimate punishment for the boys is sitting next to a girl.  And two of my girls need to be separated.  I have already started asking if they have their textbooks and workbooks when I take attendance so that they have no excuse.  If they don't have them, I will email my supervisor as they already were warned.  Last but not least, they can stand against the wall for class if they can't keep from knocking each other to the ground.

As hectic as class was, I was laughing when I left.  One girl had even written "Mindy I love u" on the board.  It was sweet.  I accomplished, somehow, what I had planned.  They didn't get their workbooks done so it is homework.  I'll check them when we have class again.  All is planned and ideas are in place in case those plans need backup :D

1 comment:

  1. Fun, fun, fun!!!! I love you, Teacher Mindy!

    ReplyDelete