Welcome!

I'm glad you are here to read my blog. I pray your learn more about other cultures and life in general. God bless and keep you!

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Night of Firsts

Last night a fellow English Teacher (let's call him Mr. M) took me on his motorcycle to downtown Daegu to go see a movie.

I've never ridden a motorcycle before.  I pointed out I am most likely a bit heavier than he is used to balancing.  He gave me some pointers that a passenger on a motorcycle should know.  When going into a turn, you have to lean into it.  If you don't then bad things can happen like crashing.  Most people can be scared to follow through with this, so I should look over his should the whole time.  If turning right, look over his right shoulder.  If turning left, look over his left shoulder.

Put on a helmet and gloves, hoped on, and we took off.  His bike is built a bit different than most.  You ride up higher and have to lean over the bike.  So I am sitting up high.  There is an area in front of him that I can brace my hands on to keep from going side to side.  Also perfect to brace against when he is slowing down or stopping.

I mentioned before that in Korea, the drivers on the road don't necessisarily drive like they do in America.  This is especially true of motorcycles.  The weave through traffic, drive between cars, and drive on the edge of the road.  I did my best to notice which mirror he was checking to get clues if he was about to cut through left or right.  That way I could lean in the appropriate direction.  If he was going between tight areas... I stayed straight and tried to keep calm.  It was fun though.

People who ride a lot generally have a pair of leathers... pants, jacket, etc.  It protects you a lot more in the event of crashing.  Let's see, high speeds with nothing between you and all around you.  I really wish I had leather pants and a leather jacket.

It was scary at first.  Still is actually.  But I got some technique to how to ride along and that helps immensely. So of the ways you ride a jetski or a horse apply.  Most I had to figure out as we went along.

It was quite a workout.  Going fast and then slowing down.  My arms supported all my upper body weight (of which there is much, I'm not light) whenever we weren't stopped or excellerating.  I can really feel it this morning but don't mind.  I'm rather proud that I did something instead of sitting all evening.

We went to downtown Daegu.  Got to the place where the theater was.  The lobby of it is up on the 5 floor.  We got tickets to Real Steel and then knowing we had a lot of time to spare until it started, we went and got crepes.  Crepes here are better than in the states.  They have ice cream inside!

Then we went walking around looking at stuff.  They celebrated Halloween tonight because who can party on Monday.  So there were many decorations and costumes.  We ended up at a bar.  No one was there.  He taught me how to play darts.  He doesn't drink so we didn't get anything.  Also, unless you want me falling asleep on the way back, I shouldn't.

From there we went back and watched the movie.  It was a 4D 2 D movie.  The 4D means it had physical effects... the seats tilted in ALL directions, the backs and seats of our seats had things in them that punched or rattled.  Blasts of air and such.  Lights all over the ceiling and walls to help with effects.  Pretty cool, though I am not sure how much I like my chair moving on me.  2D means no glasses to make it 3D.

The movie was pretty cool.  People learning to go after dreams in a smart fashion as well as who is really important... their family.  Loved the music.  The main character was none other than Hugh Jackman... sigh :)

Then we went to another bar.  This time it was late enough that people were there.  He taught me to play pool.  It was fun.  While he set it up, I went to get drinks.  He asked for a cider.  Since he doesn't drink, I knew it was safe to order one too.  It was basically a sprite.  We each won at least one game :)  It was getting crowded though and he was getting up early in the morning so we left.

Drove back.  It was easier on the bike the second time.  Also now it was late enough that traffic wasn't so bad.  So we made it back in better time.  Like 10 minutes faster at least.

Overall it was a night of firsts.  First bike ride.  First bar.  First darts game.  First pool.  First 4D movie.  Kinda nice to get out.

3 comments:

  1. Painting the town - how fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds really cool Mindy... I do hope that you will continue to have fun. :)

    ReplyDelete